In Brazil, the Ministry of Health He stopped working with suspicious cases and the latest official information published is that on March 20 at 6:05 p.m. there were 904 confirmed cases and 11 deaths from the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
This measure was announced because the transmission of the Coronavirus became community, that is, when the authorities no longer identify the chain of infection or it is already five generations old, as it was identified in the state of São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte. (MG), Santa Catarina, Pernambuco and Porto Alegre (RS).
Community transmission is the most critical in the coronavirus pandemic because it now has a greater and less controlled spread of the virus. In the Occupational Health and Safety area, this situation has acquired a more critical dimension and requires a more forceful response to reduce the impacts on work environments and, mainly, on the health of workers.
An initial analysis of the Coronavirus do Brasil data, carried out by researchers from three universities (USP, UNICAMP and UNESP), indicates that the number of cases in the country doubles every 2.5 days, according to a report published by FAPESP Agency. OR COVID-19 BR Observatory, is coordinated by the physicist Roberto Kraenkel, from the Unesp Institute of Theoretical Physics, which works with mathematical models linked to ecology and epidemiology.
Our objective is to keep the evolution of the cases in Brazil updated, in this Send. On March 27 (Friday) 3,417 people had already been confirmed with the infection, which generated a 3.77-fold increase in the number of cases compared to March 20, 2020, according to data from COVID-19 BR Observatory. The forecast is that on April 1 there will be at least 6,494 cases, reaching 7,723, demonstrating growth and the need to increase restrictive measures in our industries.
It is a critical scenario that in recent days has come to be represented by the concept of the epidemic curve, which arose with the idea that it must be flattened to avoid the implosion or collapse of the health system in Brazil (FAPESP Agency) The epidemic curve represents the concentration of the number of cases over time and allows us to know the initial evolution of the disease.
The information makes it possible to plan more effective and preventive public health actions, avoiding a collapse when, for example, the Coronavirus becomes concentrated and spreads rapidly. A concentration of cases at this time in the country’s municipalities means that there will be a lack of hospital beds, health professionals, hospital teams, medications, ambulances, etc., which are essential resources to care for the population. So at this point, The most effective preventive measure to reduce the spread is social isolation.
The list of companies that are taking measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus continues to grow in Brazil. It is a movement promoted by companies such as Volvo Trucks, Ford, Volkswagen, General Motors, Mercedes-Benz, Cocamar, Randon, Scania, Pfizer, Hypera Pharma, Linkedin, iFood, Petrobras, Eletrobas, BNDES, Warehouse Issues, etc. . These are industrial attitudes that demonstrate the size of the challenge ahead and the economic, financial and social impacts that we will soon have to overcome!
Among the main measures adopted are the cancellations of national and international trips, providing virtual communication channels for clients, home office, hygiene reinforcement, creation of crisis committees in the business sectors, use of videoconferencing, restriction of elevators, flexibility in working hours, safety recommendations for the IT area and minimum distance between people.
And we in the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) area, how can we help prevent Coronavirus in our workers or collaborators? What to do to prevent coronavirus in the workplace?
Below, we highlight some preventive measures that our 8mm Ideasteam considers essential to share on social networks and spread to technology users, customers, suppliers, employees, investors, partners, friends and family. These are measures that our clients have also passed and we thank you in advance for your collaboration at this time, which is important to gather efforts and knowledge.
Prevention with isolation and social distancing
Isolation and social distance imposed by various governments in countries such as China, France, Germany, Japan, Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, among others, are the most effective preventive measures to date to reduce the speed and scale of transmission. of coronavirus. These are actions that restrict the movement of people in commerce, in restaurants, supermarkets, schools, leisure areas, cultural events, roads and universities, mainly reducing the formation of crowds.
Brazil is still acting in a very timid way to prevent the spread of the virus in the population. As a result, the infection has spread in several metropolises, industrialized cities, and cities with high levels of poverty. It is a situation that endangers the health of workers and the regional economy itself, which also faces other cyclical problems in the country.
OR COVID-19 BR Observatory recorded for example that in Brazil, on March 18, there were already more than 11.5 thousand Suspicious cases that accumulate patients with symptoms and who have had contact with other suspected or confirmed cases, or with people who have come from the affected area. Suspicious cases are evaluated by the health system and can be classified into confirmed or discarded cases and Statistics show that they are growing very fast.
The isolation and social distance procedure helps decrease the number of people to whom an infected individual can transmit the virus. The 8mm Ideasteam simulated a Coronoavirus spread scenario, using the software (NetLogo) made available by COVID-19 BR Observatory, for an agglomeration of 150 people, which can be a working environment, each with 10 social contacts and 2 initially infected with the coronavirus (red dots).
The mathematical model of spread in the social network simulates the contamination of people through contacts and shows that 60 healthy people (blue) are contaminated in 52 days and from day 88, that is, approximately 3 months later, the number of people contamination is always greater than the number of people or workers without the Coronavirus.
Note that the Coronavirus can spread with two epidemic-related dynamics, highlighted by the Guimaraes. Pollution in the city or workplace (locality) can occur depending on the type of contact that exists between people, such as family, business, work or sports gatherings.
The other dynamic is between cities that also depends on the movement of people over long distances using air, land and sea transportation. In this case, the time and distance between the point of departure and arrival and the means used determine the volume of the flow of people and, consequently, the speed of spread of the Coronavirus in Brazil.
1) publication of a decree restricting places (schools, bars, restaurants, Mall, etc.) to serve the public (Decree No. 445/2020);
2) Transformation of Basic Health Units (UBS) into Emergency Care Units (UPA) – PMM;
3) Extra class pedagogical activities – Content online for children;
4) Daily bulletin coronavirus in the municipality of Maringá;
5) Coronavirus reporting system Available for the population (APP, page, phone, social networks, WhatsAPP, email);
6) Prevention campaign on social networks;
7) Intensive inspection of compliance with decrees and adoption of preventive measures;
8) Temperature control and place of departure of people at the airport and the bus station;
9) Paraná state government closes the roads for the entrance of buses from SP, RJ, DF and BA and requests the closure of the borders.
10) Implement the curfew, suspend road activities and fiscal communication by email, in accordance with Decree N. 464/2020.
Our workforce is adopting and following all possible measures to avoid local contamination and not hinder the operation of our activities. Furthermore, we are preparing to face the maximum spread of the Coronavirus, taking various measures in the work environment, as detailed below.
Measures to prevent coronavirus
Our clients also shared some measures related to Occupational Health and Safety that they are taking in the workplace to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, namely:
- Provide gel alcohol in places of high circulation;
- Increase the distance between people in the work environment;
- Provide PPE (personal protective equipment), such as gloves and masks;
- Adopt the home Office for administrative activities or the adoption of a work schedule, for example, workers on alternate days avoiding crowds;
- Flexibility of working hours to reduce overcrowding on site and the flow of people on public transportation;
- Monitor the health of the employees through the measurement of temperature at the entrance or between changes of work shift;
- Adopt collective vacations for sectors that allow it;
- Eliminate employees who belong to risk groups, that is, workers over 60 and pregnant women;
- Restrict the access of suppliers, clients and others to the company, in order to reduce the movement of people in the work environment;
- Raise awareness and sensitize employees through email, distribution of newsletters, orientation in the outdoor courtyard to maintain distance between employees and the installation of visual management tables in the workplace;
- Make company buses available for the transportation of employees at predetermined points or routes, avoiding the use of public transport;
- Reduce the number of employees in vehicles that transport workers;
- Postpone training and conferences or conduct them through Internet;
- Increase the hygiene of the work environment, such as elevators, handrails, stairs, door handles, windows and gates;
- Increase the availability of sinks and the continued replacement of soap and paper towels;
- Increase the space between employees in cafeterias, pack cutlery in plastic or cardboard bags and centralize food handling in one person when it serves to prevent employees from touching shells and skimmers, for example;
- Change work uniforms in the residence to reduce the movement and concentration of employees in the locker room. However, it is necessary to guide the worker on cleaning, storage care and personal hygiene upon arrival at the residence;
- Suspend the use of an electronic point and the delivery of EPP by biometrics or guarantee the hygiene of this equipment at each reading;
- Disinfect tools for shared use in the workplace at each change of worker and shift;
- Disinfect buttons, levers and panels of machines and equipment, vehicles during shift changes;
- Scale the staff of operational employees on different shifts;
- Provide medical care in the workplace, when possible;
- Consider the need and the possibility of disrupting industrial activities;
- Keep doors open to reduce people’s contact with objects contaminated with the virus;
- Isolate living areas from workers, such as the bathroom, waiting room, and entertainment.
The practices mentioned above were obtained from the results of the survey with our clients and readers who are in work environments with essential activities (agribusiness, transport, port, pharmacist, hospital, service stations, slaughterhouses, among others). The 8mm Ideasteam is updating the list of practices as new recommendations are posted.
You can still contribute to our research, answering our questionnaire about what are the measures you have already implemented in your company. It takes 1 minute! Click here
Our purpose is to increase the health and safety of workers in companies and the values of safety, work and respect are not negotiable. We have adopted the home OfficeWith flexible working hours, we constantly guide our team in preventive measures and produce content that provides up-to-date and reliable information and helps our clients, partners, suppliers and family members establish preventive measures against coronavirus.
In this moment of change and emergence of society, we remain active and ready. We have several tools that allow a much closer and more agile contact, such as our application, website and emailIn addition to that our employees are also available for meetings by videoconference, email, telephone and whatsapp.
We count on your support and a simple attitude to share!
Hi, I am a freelance artist and greeting card designer in San Francisco.
My work was inspired by ephemera of all sorts. Apart from designing, I love to update the latest happenings around me on this channel.